Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Dynamic Generation and Serving of Topic Maps

* Lars Marius Garshol

| Furthermore, to TMQL, the actual form in which the topic map happens
| to be stored should not matter at all.

* Murray Altheim

| I've changed my opinion on this. I do think XPath and XPointer can
| serve to bring to the topic map engine the portions necessary to
| implement TMQL. In other words, TMQL can be built as a layer on top
| of an XPath/ XPointer engine.

I don't think the question is whether it _can_ be, but whether it is
the right/best way to do it.  Topic maps and XML documents have two
very different data models, just as different as XML documents and
relational databases.

Obviously, SQL is not a good fit for XML documents, just as XPath is a
very bad fit for relational databases. I don't think XPath is a very
good fit for topic maps either.

| If this is not true, we're in trouble.

Why should we be? XPath doesn't work very well for relational data
either. Does that also mean that we're in trouble?

| As for thinking differently, I pride myself on that, thank you very
| much.

I agree that you should, it's just that in this case the amount of
difference really does worry me.

--Lars M.