Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Promotion of Conceptual Model

* Steven R. Newcomb

| If we don't clearly say what is the nature of the information that
| is purportedly being interchanged via the DTD, I don't think we have
| done our job, which is to specify how a certain kind of information
| set shall be interchanged.  If the Spec contains only a DTD, and no
| Conceptual Model, it will be very regrettable.  We will have
| accomplished our short-term political objectives, but won't have
| accomplished anything real.

Having begun to look more closely at the current XTM DTD I agree very
strongly with this. There are a lot of subtle things in that DTD,
especially as it now stands, and I feel it is very very important that
these be spelled out.

I (and my colleagues in Ontopia) are currently reviewing the material
from Dallas in order to provide the xtm-wg with feedback (a document
is being prepared and will be posted as soon as humanly possible) and
also to consider how to update our topic map engine to reflect the new
model.

--Lars M.