Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Promotion of Conceptual Model

"Steven R. Newcomb" wrote:

> [Murray:]
>
> > there is no syntax/model distinction any more, remember?
>
> How can that be?
>
> But I hear you.  Let's try to blend these suckers insofar as possible.
> I'm just having a nervous breakdown over the apparent relegation of
> the Conceptual Model to the status of an Annex.  That would not be
> good at all.

As I tried to explain earlier, only the UML diagrams are in the Annex.
The conceptual model *is* the prose in every part of the specification
that isn't the Syntax section. The outline I have online right now is
what I think would be a structure in which that could be fleshed out.
The Basic Concepts and Advanced Concepts sections are there precisely
to describe *in prose that people can understand* what this Topic Map
thing is all about. This embodies the conceptual model, distinctly *not*
the syntax. This is where we'd shine over the XML Recommendation, which
lacks a model (and Tim Bray would argue that is the correct approach
for a syntax specification. I differ in thinking that there is still
a required skeleton of necessary conceptualization even in XML that is
lacking and is causing the W3C hell right now).

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

eLerts