Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Promotion of Conceptual Model

"our particular use of UML" ... "our particular use of ELEMENT and ATTLIST
declarations" ...

The "meaning" of a DTD declaration is as ambiguous as the "meaning" of a UML
diagram. The "syntactic conventions" of DTD syntax and those of UML diagrams
are both being conformed to. We're not re-explaining DTD syntax. We don't
need to re-explain UML syntax either. What we do need to do is give
sufficient context and explanation (and worked examples) to help convey what
the declarations and the diagrams are expressing.

I think *both* the DTD *and* the UML diagrams should be in annexes (in their
complete, formal wholeness, carrying with them only the formal comments).
But before you get to the annexes, you should have been walked through the
entire meaning  of Topic Maps, with appropriate illustrations to help get
each construct across. These illustrations will be relevant ELEMENT and
ATTLIST productions, relevant UML drawing fragments, relevant examples and
relevant explanatory prose. Most XML specifications talk through the ideas,
with formal productions interspersed as needed, and then re-states the
complete declaration set as an annex. We can do the same, bringing in the
UML diagrams alongside the related DTD fragments as we go through. This will
provide the completeness Murray describes, as well as pointing out the
correspondences and mappings between the two formalisms.

Daniel