Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] tag line: the GPS metaphor and other metaphors

Jack Park wrote:

> Probably an extended reach to say "owned" when I am echoing that I have
> heard that he "coined" the phrase and thus "owns" it in my judgement.  If he
> did, indeed, coint that precise phrase, then he is entitled to some kind of
> trademark or copyright on it, I think.

Only if he has copyrighted it, or asserted copyright by publication of
it. That's why I think we shouldn't touch TimBL's book title, but I've
never heard Goldfarb publishing anything with that title. Besides, the
concept of GPS-associated-with-something is hardly copyrightable. If we
used "GPS of the Information Universe" and Goldfarb had once uttered
"GPS of the Web", we'd not be in trouble legally. In fact, if people do
actually associate Goldfarb with GPS-associated-with-something, then
we'd both benefit from our mutual association: us for showing our
allegiance to the idea of industrial-strength navigation, he for being
in some way part of a Bold New Idea. Et cetera.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

eGroups eLerts