Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Notes of MARKETING committee teleconference

The notes of the XTM Marketing Committee of 16 November state:

>>- We recommend, for now, the creation of a TopicMap example based on
>>Daniel Rivers[Moore’s] suggestion of using Shakespeare (Hamlet) so that different
>>vendors can show the same map in different ways.

RivCom is in the process of preparing a TopicMap of Hamlet using Jon Bosak’s XML (http://metalab.unc.edu/bosak/xml/eg/shaks200.zip) as a source for all the occurrences.

We envisage that our work on this will be useful as a source for examples of various syntactic constructs in the XTM Specification. We will deliver sufficient topics, associations and occurrences to serve as illustrative material within the specification by editorial deadline of Wednesday evening. We will not require credit for this.

We envisage that our work will also be useful as a vendor neutral interoperability testing tool and showcase for vendors at Topic Maps Interest Day (4 December) and beyond. We will send out work-in-progress between now and the Interest Day and would welcome feedback from vendors and others as we move forward – this should be addressed to antony.scott@rivcom.com.

We would be very pleased if any vendors wish to make use of this Topic Map as a showcase for their products on the proviso that RivCom is credited when it is used.

The XML will include:

  <P>XML version by Jon Bosak, 1996-1999.</P>

  <P>The XML markup in this version is Copyright © 1999 Jon Bosak. This work may freely be distributed on condition that it not be modified or altered in any way.</P>

Topic Map will include words to the effect “The Topic Map is Copyright © 2000 RivCom. This work may freely be distributed on condition that it not be modified or altered in any way.”

Adrian Rivers

RivCom