Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] topicRef to reference assocs as well as topics

Hi Sam,

What must be possible is that all aspects of the model must be expressible
in the syntax. A processing model can only deal with what is there and
currently what is there is lacking.

i.e. no processing model, no matter how magical, will be able to create the
conceptual model, as agreed, from this syntax.

One problem is the statement that all topicRefs resolve to a topic ELEMENT.
It is unclear how we currently write syntax that allows a processing model
to make an association the player of a role in another association, for
example.

We really do need this. And if there is a way to treat assocs as topics
(which they are anyway) I would like to know. If not I suggest we makes some
changes, either to the agreed conceptual model or the current serialised
form. I dont think I need to indicate my preference. ;)

cheers

graham

-----Original Message-----
From: sentto-1553146-1146-976039655-gdm=stepuk.com@returns.onelist.com
[mailto:sentto-1553146-1146-976039655-gdm=stepuk.com@returns.onelist.com
]On Behalf Of Sam Hunting
Sent: 05 December 2000 18:08
To: xtm-wg@egroups.com

> I would sugest we change the text to say that a topicRef resolves to
> topic OR association element.

This seems to suggest that all aspects of the conceptual model must be
reflected in the syntax. That is not so. The processing model mediates
between them.

>From the perspective of the desperate topic map hacker, and from a
pedagocial perspective, having a <topicRef> element that points to a
<topic> makes life a lot easier.

S.

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp

This message has been checked for all known viruses, by Star Internet,
delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Control Centre.
For further information visit:
http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp

eLerts