Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Mapping of XTM syntax to the Conceptual Model

Thanks for these comments,  Kal.

1) Elimination of <member>

I agree that it would be preferable to drop the <member> element, and
replace it with the <role> element as defined in the "Note" in the mapping
document. The inclusion of <member> for backward compatibility purposes
becomes unnecessary if we accept (as I believe we should) that the status of
the "Core Deliverables" is that of a draft rather than approved
specification. This brings us to the question of "process" that Steve Pepper
raised. As Steve Pepper says, this is something that must be resolved at our
forthcoming meeting in Paris. I have my views, which I shall write
separately to the participating members only (hearing the plea from some
members of this list that we try to segregate processs issues from technical
ones).

2) Content model of <role>

Kal asks about the (topicRef | resourceRef | subjectIndicatorRef ) group in
the role element. This is a pointer to the Topic that is the role. I gave an
example in  a response to Holger, using the association "Daniel employed by
RivCom as Director of New Technologies). The Role Topics are distinct from
the Player Topics, as follows:

Role: Daniel's job-function at RivCom - Player: Director of New Technologies
Role: Daniel's employer as Director of New Technologies - Player: RivCom
Role: RivCom's Director of New Technologies - Player: Daniel

A <topicRef> subelement of the <role> element will have an xlink:href
pointer to an element representing the Role Topic as described in the
left-hand list above. A <topicRef> subelement of the <player> element will
point to an element representing the Player Topic as described in the
right-hand list above. The complete structure, including the corresponding
template <association> element, is included in my message "RE: [xtm-wg]
Modified diagram for Association Template" of Tuesday 9 January (the one in
response to Holger, not the one in response to Chris).

In fact, I believe we only need the <topicRef> subelement of <role>, and
that the <resourceRef> and <subjectIndicatorRef> would be better dropped.
This applies to *all* cases where this grouping occurs. I believe it would
be a clarification to have <resourceRef> and <subjectIndicatorRef> *only* on
<topic> elements, and for other elements that represents subtypes of Topic
always to use a <topicRef> element to point to a <topic> element with which
they are identical, and to have that <topic> element contain the
<subjectIndicatorRef> that points to a Subject Descriptor resource. In my
view, the clean options are *either* to allow all element types that
represent subtypes of Topic to have *all* the subelements of <topic>,
including <baseName>, <instanceOf>, <occurrence> etc, *or* for them *only*
to have <topicRef> and the special subelements that are unique to them. The
former option would retain "backward compatibility", but I am coming to the
view that the latter might be clearer and easier to understand and avoid
errors.

3) <subjectIndicatorRef>

In your first paragraph, beginning "I agree with Daniel's assertion", I
think you have understood me well, and I agree with your additional remarks.

In your second paragraph, beginning "Where I have some reservations", you
make an interesting suggestion. I don't think there is necessarily an
overloading of <topicRef>. The <topicRef> element *always* points at another
element that represents the same Topic as the Topic represented by the
element that contains it. Since Association and Role are subtypes of Topic,
<association> elements and <role> elements represent Topics and can be the
targets of <topicRef> pointers without there being an overloading of the
meaning of the <topicRef> element. If we consider that the <rolesSpec>
element itself represents the Topic that is the Role in the association
template to which the <topicRef> pointer points, then we are consistent in
our usage and there is still no overloading. However, if we consider the
<roleSpec> and <associationSpec> elements to be *just* pointers, then yes,
we could make them into xlinks in their own right. I agree that this could
be preferable, as it emphasises the special nature of these two pointers.

4) <resourceRef>

I agree with everything you say here, including the fact that the question
about whether the scenario you describe should constitute a reportable error
is an interesting question. I have not been concerning myself with what
should or should not constitute a reportable error. For me, this is part of
the very large question of what constitutes a conformant application. I have
been concerned more with the meaning of the information, and have left the
very interesting question of conformance to one side, for now.

Best regards

Daniel