Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Status of Core Deliverables document

> Certainly we don't want to blow our user base out of the water by a
> change. But neither do we want to make stability a sacred cow and
> give the iconoclasts (in the original sense) a reason to break the
> larger unity from which both the standards developers and their user
> community benefit in the long term.

I don't think that anyone here is saying that change is always bad. The
debate, rather, is about how and when it should take place.

No one knows better than an old SGML hand like you that the dynamics of
selling IP can lead software vendors into a "change is good" mode to
keep "upgrade" revenues flowing, compete, etc. This is normal but not
obviously a good thing for the owners of information assets. Since
information assets are what topic maps enable, I think every request
for change needs to be scrutinized carefully.

S.

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->