Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] MOTION: Charter revision - definition of absolute majority

Eric -- or a proponent of this motion -- can someone, for the sake of
the arithmetically challenged, give an example of the misreading and
the kind of vote it would affect? I just want to know what I'm voting
for.

S.

--- Eric Freese <eric@isogen.com> wrote:
> MOTION: Alter the text contained in paragraph 3.2.1 of the
> TopicMaps.Org
> charter to read:
>
> "Absolute majority" shall mean a number of votes V is greater than or
> equal
> to ceil(N/2.0)
>
> where 2.0 is a real quantity, N is a real quantity equal to the total
> number
> of voters, minus the number of abstentions, at the time that the call
> for a
> vote is issued pursuant to section 3.3.2, / is a floating-point
> division,
> and ceil() is the ceiling function which is defined to round the
> number away
> from zero to the nearest integer.
>
> ========================
> REASONING:
>
> The current definition is easily misread (I did it).  This makes the
> wording
> in 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 more consistent.
>
> ========================
>
> This motion requires a 2/3 majority to pass.  Ten (10) "YES" votes
> are
> required for this motion to pass.
>
> The voting period shall run from February 6, 2001 through February
> 14, 2001.
>
> <!-- ****************************************************************
> Eric Freese                                    Email: eric@isogen.com
> Director - Professional Services - Midwest     Voice:    651 636 9180
> ISOGEN International/DataChannel               Fax:      651 636 9191
> 1611 West County Road B - Suite 204            WWW:    www.isogen.com
> St. Paul, MN 55113                                www.datachannel.com

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details