Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] 1.0 Spec Comments

roleSpec was introduced when we were discussing the association templating
mechanism. It was a pointer to the role object in a template, that
determined the "type of involvement" played by a member in the instance
association conforming to the template. Given that an association was not
required to have a template, it was an optional element.

At the time I argued that we needed an additional element, for the role
itself (in the instance association),  as well as the pointer to the
"role-constraints" in the template. However, with the decision not to
include templating in version 1.0, the need that I felt for two elements
(one for the instance role, one for the template "role-constraining-topic",
has gone away. We only have Role (in the conceptual model), and <roleSpec>
(in the interchange syntax). The <roleSpec> element references a topic that
"specifies the role" that all the topics referenced from within that
<member> element play. It therefore does indeed make sense that it be
required. I think this is another "erratum" on the DTD... (the other being
the <baseName> subelement of <occurrence>, which has been removed, as agreed
in Paris).

ALSO - Sorry, I'm 30 minutes past the deadline of midnight EST for comments,
but please forgive me ... Looking at this I've spotted an error in the
diagram of "Association Between Topics" in the Conceptual Model Annex. The
central box should be labeled "Role", not "Membership". The text is correct,
but the diagram is an older version.

Daniel

Daniel