Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Nikita's comments

At 13:13 08/02/01 -0500, Nikita Ogievetsky wrote (in response to
Chris):

> >From what you are saying, I assume that you believe that
>the following:
>
><association>
>     <member>
>         <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#asserted-by"/></roleSpec>
>         <topicRef xlink:href="#peron1"/>
>     </member>
>     <member>
>         <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#asserted-by"/></roleSpec>
>         <topicRef xlink:href="#peron2"/>
>     </member>
>     <member>
>         <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#fact"/></roleSpec>
>         <topicRef xlink:href="#fact1"/>
>     </member>
></association>
>
>is equivalent to:
>
><association>
>     <member>
>         <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#asserted-by"/></roleSpec>
>         <topicRef xlink:href="#peron1"/>
>         <topicRef xlink:href="#peron2"/>
>     </member>
>     <member>
>         <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#fact"/></roleSpec>
>         <topicRef xlink:href="#fact1"/>
>     </member>
></association>
>
>Well ... I very doubt it.
>Merging rules for association members were never discussed
>and I do not thing that anything of this sort should be taking place.

 From Annex F:

   F.3.3 Equivalence of Multiple <member>s of the Same Role

   An association containing multiple members, M1 and M2
   of the same role R may be equivalently defined by an association
   containing a single member M3 of role R whose set of
   players is the union of the sets of players of role R in members
   M1 and M2.

This *was* discussed, several times. And the editors of 13250
pronounced on it at least once.

>I may want to have those members separately.
>For example I may want to reify member role of #person1
>and supply some metadata for it.
>If I merge member roles as you suggest I am losing this capability.
>Why should they be merged? Even "implicitly"?
>
>If a family have to sons, who said that these sones
>are one and the same entity in the family?

If you model them that way, then they are.

To avoid what you call "merging" (which it isn't, really), you
would have to give them separate roles (e.g. "oldest son", "youngest
son").

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Technology Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details