Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] Nikita's comments

Nikita

I refer you to F.3.3

Regards
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: Nikita Ogievetsky [mailto:nogievet@cogx.com]
Sent: 08 February 2001 18:14
To: xtm-wg@yahoogroups.com

Chris,

>From what you are saying, I assume that you believe that
the following:

<association>
    <member>
        <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#asserted-by"/></roleSpec>
        <topicRef xlink:href="#peron1"/>
    </member>
    <member>
        <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#asserted-by"/></roleSpec>
        <topicRef xlink:href="#peron2"/>
    </member>
    <member>
        <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#fact"/></roleSpec>
        <topicRef xlink:href="#fact1"/>
    </member>
</association>

is equivalent to:

<association>
    <member>
        <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#asserted-by"/></roleSpec>
        <topicRef xlink:href="#peron1"/>
        <topicRef xlink:href="#peron2"/>
    </member>
    <member>
        <roleSpec><topicRef xlink:href="#fact"/></roleSpec>
        <topicRef xlink:href="#fact1"/>
    </member>
</association>

Well ... I very doubt it.
Merging rules for association members were never discussed
and I do not thing that anything of this sort should be taking place.

I may want to have those members separately.
For example I may want to reify member role of #person1
and supply some metadata for it.
If I merge member roles as you suggest I am losing this capability.
Why should they be merged? Even "implicitly"?

If a family have to sons, who said that these sones
are one and the same entity in the family?

Thanks,

Nikita.