Subject: [xtm-wg] An XTM test suite

We at Ontopia are currently busy implementing XTM 1.0, and are
beginning to see the need for an XTM 1.0 test suite. We will need to
develop such a test suite, but the thought struck us that this might
perhaps better be done under the auspices of topicmaps.org than as a
solo project.

I am not at all confident that the specification as it stands is firm
enough for such a test suite to be as complete as it ought to be.
However, if we find that it is not, this ought to be excellent input
to the processing subgroup, and might even result in a firmed-up XTM
specification or an annex to it.

What is needed to create such a test suite is essentially the
following:

 - a canonical XTM specification (which describes a single canonical
   serialization format where all logically equivalent XTM documents
   will have the same representation)

 - a categorization system for the test cases

 - an XML application for describing the test cases (not essential,
   but useful)

 - heaps and heaps of test cases that systematically test one aspect
   of XTM 1.0 each, with corresponding canonical output for those that
   are error-free

So, is there any interest for an effort like this?  Like I said,
Ontopia will have to do this anyway, the question is just whether the
community will share the effort and benefits or not.

--Lars M.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details