Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Topic Naming Constraint question

* Chris Angus

| I can see where you are coming from, I guess a part of the problem
| is "XML Query Language" would be a type for a topic playing the role
| of "subject" (or some such) with respect to the topic that is the
| "standard" in an association, which may be further than you wish to
| go.

Instance-of seemed the right kind of association to me, but I didn't
want to have to start creating lots of types for the different kinds
of standards, since I didn't see much use for it. What you are
proposing now I don't understand.

| If you want to "XML Query Language" as a name then I think you have two
| alternatives:
|
| (1) Make the name a variant.

A variant of the base name which is the acronym, you mean? I didn't
think of that, but I don't think it works, since I would like to
display both names, and not just the abbreviation. (That's really why
I have the expansion there in the first place.)

| (2) Make the scope the topic itself.

This is what Steve suggested, so see my response to him.

| I know that (2) sounds a strange thing to do, but is seems to me the
| situation is that the <FULLNAME> is a name that has been chosen with
| reference only to the specific topic - there is no obvious wider
| scope in which it acts as a discrminator.

I don't think this justifies it, really.  Scoping it by itself would
imply that it is only in the context defined by the topic itself that
the base name is valid, but this is not the case.  'XML Query
Language' is the expansion in _all_ contexts; there is nothing limited
about its validity.

--Lars M.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details