Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Topic Naming Constraint question

Lars !

I am working on a similar problem while transforming
an ontology into XTM that inherently allows names to be
used for different topics.

My current solution is, to scope the names according to
the context the user would think of when choosing one
of the topic.

Example:
Amazonas is ambigous for Amazon State, Amazon Region and
Amazon River.

So I might end up with:

<topic id="amazon-state">
  <!-- other base names -->
  <baseName>
    <scope>
      <topicRef
xlink:href="http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/language.xtm#en"/>
      <topicRef xlink:href="#politics"/>
    </scope>
    <baseNameString>Amazonas</baseNameString>
  </baseName>
</topic>
<topic id="amazon-region">
  <!-- other base names -->
  <baseName>
    <scope>
      <topicRef
xlink:href="http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/language.xtm#en"/>
      <topicRef xlink:href="#geographics"/>
    </scope>
    <baseNameString>Amazonas</baseNameString>
  </baseName>
</topic>
<topic id="amazon-river">
  <!-- other base names -->
  <baseName>
    <scope>
      <topicRef
xlink:href="http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/language.xtm#en"/>
      <topicRef xlink:href="#geographics"/>
      <topicRef xlink:href="#rivers"/>
    </scope>
    <baseNameString>Amazonas</baseNameString>
  </baseName>
</topic>

If the user chooses the name Amazonas from the list of
names,
the system might ask: In what context are you right now ?
politics, geographics or geographics and rivers ?

I looked at XQL and XML-QL shortly, and it seems, one might
distiguish them for example by the query format: linear or
XML.

Hope that might help.

Jan

Lars Marius Garshol schrieb:

> As I've posted earlier I have a topic map of free XML tools in XTM
> format, and when processing this I discovered a problem with these two
> topics:
>
>   <topic id="S_XMLQL">
>     <instanceOf>
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#TMTT_Standard"></topicRef>
>       </instanceOf>
>     <baseName>
>       <baseNameString>XML-QL</baseNameString>
>       </baseName>
>     <baseName>
>       <baseNameString>XML Query Language</baseNameString>
>       </baseName>
>     </topic>
>
>   <topic id="S_XQL">
>     <instanceOf>
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#TMTT_Standard"></topicRef>
>       </instanceOf>
>     <baseName>
>       <baseNameString>XQL</baseNameString>
>       </baseName>
>     <baseName>
>       <baseNameString>XML Query Language</baseNameString>
>       </baseName>
>     </topic>
>
> They represent two different standards, with different acronyms, and
> yet they share a common base name (the expansion of the acronym).
> According to the topic naming constraint, these two topics should be
> merged, which is NOT what I want.
>
> The question is: what is an appropriate scope to use on these two base
> names to avoid having the topics forcibly merged?
>
> --Lars M.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kWP7PD/pYNCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM