Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Topic Naming Constraint question

Hi Nikita,

* Nikita Ogievetsky

| When I (as a person) am saying:
|
| "XML Query Language is worth looking into"
|
| How do you know which "XML Query Language" am I talking about?

Sorry, Nikita, but I am not buying this argument.  It is in the nature
of names that they can refer to more than one thing, and the
traditional solution to this in computing is to use a unique identifier.
So my answer is that if you want to refer to a specific topic you
should use its unique identifier.

| If outside of your <topicMap> somebody addressed a topic named "XML
| Query Language" in your topic map of free XML tools, which one he
| addressed?

He should use URIs if he's doing addressing. If he's doing a query I'm
sure he can handle getting two topics back instead of one.

And in any case I don't see how the topic naming constraint helps him
formulate a query that returns only a single topic. The only real
solution that has been offered me yet is to scope both topics on
themselves, and I fail to see how that would help someone formulating
a query.

| And <baseName>s exist for addressing and identifying.

That is what I don't like.

| Seems that XTM produced by your script is still an intermediate
| document, not XTM yet.

It is a perfectly OK XTM document from a formal point of view (that
is, there are no errors that cause it to be rejected), it's just that
processors forcibly merge topics that should not be merged.

| However I agree that this is a problem.  I also agree that mangling
| <scope> elements is not very elegant (especially if you trust it to
| a machine:-)).

Good! :-)

| I previously suggested an alternative solution:
| to allow combining names and occurrences together
| in order to provide a unique handler.

I don't see why we need this.  We have the URI of the topic, we have
the addressable subject (if any), and the subject indicators (if any).
Why do we need yet more unique identifiers?

--Lars M.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kWP7PD/pYNCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM