Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Q: F.6.4 Role player duplicate suppression

Graham, Kal,

I think Robert has a point that the wording in F.6.4 could
be clearer. It could be interpreted to refer only to members
that each have a single role-playing topic, leaving open the
question of what happens when one or more of the members
has *multiple* role-playing topics and the sets only overlap
but do not match.

One could argue that there can be no uncertainty if F.6.4 is
read in conjunction with F.3.3, but that is not immediately
obvious from F.6.4.

I give my interpretation below. Are we in agreement on this?
Do you think we need to improve the wording of F.6.4?

Steve

At 11:26 23/02/01 +1000, Robert Barta wrote:
>While I find plausible the simplification in 'F.6.4 Role player
>duplicate suppression', what about:
>
><association id="a34">
>    <member>
>       <roleSpec xlink:href="#brother" />
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#gdm" />
>    </member>
>    <member>
>       <roleSpec xlink:href="#brother" />
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#gdm" />
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#ctb" />
>    </member>
>    <member>
>       <roleSpec xlink:href="#brother" />
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#ctb" />
>    </member>
></association>
>
>Should it collapse into
>
><association id="a34">
>    <member>
>       <roleSpec xlink:href="#brother" />
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#gdm" />
>       <topicRef xlink:href="#ctb" />
>    </member>
></association>

Yes.

>?  Or should the clause F.6.4.3 read
>
>   3. M1 and M2 reference exactly the same *set* of topics
>      as role playing topics.

No. But I agree that this could be clearer.

Steve

--
Steve Pepper, Chief Technology Officer <pepper@ontopia.net>
Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34/WG3  Editor, XTM (XML Topic Maps)

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kWP7PD/pYNCAA/4ihDAA/2n6YlB/TM