Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] For a general formalism of the semantic web - for more patient and formal work

Hi

I don't think my answer can be short enough to be explain in a mail
that's why I'll write a small survey on graphs applied to topic maps.

To do short when I say that's like studing multiplication before
addition I mean that you are taking short cuts in your definition :

exemple :

In the document when you describe an AM arc there is an arc adjacent
with an other arc. In graph theory it's impossible. What it means is
Your graph is made of 3 kind of vertices role topic (without
distinction between topics and scopes) and your edges which are
hyperedges (connecting more than two vertices at the same time)
modelise relations between these objects. Scopes relations or what
ever. This hyperedges are labeled : scope, AM ....

What is important is to understand that hypergraphs modelise arity n
relations and then that you can always transform an hypergraph into a
representative bipartite graph (for that step you can see the document
we submitted to XML2001).

For the defense of graph theory applied to the XTMPM I think there are
lot of tools that can be usefull, such that graphs isomorphism for
template recognition and control...., graph grammar (it exist
"Lectures notes in computer sciences n° 532" and I will go to read it
at the librairie)

A last thing I'm not a profesionnal of XTM that means I know the
concepts but not all the specificities. Therefore any kind of help to
write a document explaining graphs for topic maps will be usefull.

Regards,
Pascal

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2cW4jC/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM