Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

* Murray Altheim

| We need a data model in order to describe a processing model.

Yes! A thousand times YES!

| Everything (the processing model, the query language, the ability to
| create interoperable implementations, etc.) relies on an accurate
| data model. I don't find it in the UML diagrams,

Nor do I, but I think we should remember that this is not because of
any fault with UML, but because the diagrams were never intended to
produce a data model. The model is conceptual because it was meant to
be.

| Yet there are those who have a difficult time with the W3C infoset
| too.

I know and I would be very glad to hear what their complaints are.
That way we can see whether the complaints can be rectified or not,
and we can also weigh their objections against those levelled at the
graph model and see which are the most serious.

| I hope you too can remain open-minded about graph models.

I do. If someone comes up with something graph-based that meets my
concerns I will accept it. One of the things that will have to be
addressed in order to achieve that is that the URIs of the nodes must
be in the graph, but it is, I think, not inconceivable that that may
happen.

In any case, if I am in the end overruled I will remain loyal to the
process and try to make the best of it with the approach that we do
choose.

--Lars M.

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4cW4jC/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM