Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

[eliot]
> I can guarantee that in the domain of implementors, UML will be the
> graphical notation that has the widest recognition--no other
> graphical language will have the same penetration to that audience.

The problem is, would be end up using UML, or a UML-like notation (as
we did in the conceptual model). If the latter, UML devolves from a
formalism to prose + illustrations -- not that there's anything wrong
with that....

[eliot]
> I'm championing UML here because I think it is the best fit for the
> task:
>
> - It has wide recognition and acceptance in industry
> - It is a clear and simple visual language (for the uses that we need
> of it--we would only be using a minimal subset of the total UML
> language)
> - It has a built-in facilities for binding in formal statements about
> the model
> - There are well-defined modeling methodologies built on it (e.g.,
> Catalysis)
> - It is an industry standard of serious authority (OMG)
> - There are free tools you can use to work with it (ObjectDomain,
> some open-source systems)
>
> As an implementor of the eventual model, UML will be the best
> possible form of definition for me to use because it integrates
> directly into my normal engineering tool set. Anything else,
> including property sets, will require significant effort to map to
> UML as the starting point for my implementation work. I assume that
> it would be the same for most other implementors.

I'm concerned about all the constituencies -- RDF is not specified in
UML (why?). Will a UML model give the TMQL people what they need to
query against?

S.

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2cW4jC/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM