Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

* Lars Marius Garshol

| - it is very closely tied to implementation. In fact, UML is more
|   suitable as documentation of implementations and designs than as
|   anything else.

* Sam Hunting

| Yech! Lars, this statement really worries me -- this suggests that
| UML is not "fit" (as Ann W would say) for the purpose we have in
| mind. Can you expand on this idea a little? Eliot, I think, is in
| vehement disagreement with you on this point.

And, what is more, he may well be right. Let us see his example, or at
least look at UML data modelling before making a decision here.

I don't know if that existed when I looked at UML in '98 (or whenever
it was), but whatever the reason I've missed it completely.

| How would you rank EXPRESS in order of well-known-ness?

Not very highly, I'm afraid. If it were well-known I would prefer it
above all our other alternatives. I'd say that it's definitely
better-known than property sets, and also definitely less than UML.

Learning the bits of EXPRESS that you need in order to comprehend the
topic map model as I think it would end up should be very easy,
though. I think Eliot's estimate of 10 minutes for learning the
necessary UML would apply to an EXPRESS model as well.

| Property sets are reasonably well known in the markup community, but
| I don't think Express is known at all.

Very little, I'd say. The markup community is just the first step,
though. Eventually everyone and his grandmother needs to know this
stuff. :-)

| ALso, are their free EXPRESS tools?

I've found some pretty poor ones. Visio has an EXPRESS module. I'm
meeting with an EXPRESS tools vendor tomorrow, though, so I'll see if
they have any advice for us.

| This is a point in favor of both UML and property sets.

True. (Well, for property sets there are no tools, but you're right
that they're all free.)

--Lars M.

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EVNB7A/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM