Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

[lars]
> This I am far less sure of. UML is sufficiently formal, I think. My
> main concerns with UML are:
>
>  - it's not all that well known, though better than groves, and it's
>    not too easy to find introductions to it on the net
>
>  - it is very closely tied to implementation. In fact, UML is more
>    suitable as documentation of implementations and designs than as
>    anything else.

Yech! Lars, this statement really worries me -- this suggests that UML
is not "fit" (as Ann W would say) for the purpose we have in mind. Can
you expand on this idea a little? Eliot, I think, is in vehement
disagreement with you on this point.

Of course, as I see it UML is a modelling langauge for *software
systems*. No wonder it is most useful for that. But we are not building
such a system, so to the extent UML is optimized for its market
realities, it may not be suitable for us.

[lars]
> Question: does UML now have a concept of set properties? That is,
> properties whose values are sets of objects or primitive values?
> This
> is needed all over for modelling topic maps, and is one of the things
> that attracts me to EXPRESS. That, its formality and precision, and
> the _very_ good standardized graphical representation of EXPRESS.

How would you rank EXPRESS in order of well-known-ness? Property sets
are reasonably well known in the markup community, but I don't think
Express is known at all.

ALso, are their free EXPRESS tools? This is a point in favor of both
UML and property sets.

> | Well, storm clouds are still milling about.
>
> The storm clouds are far out in the periphery and only seem
> threatening in the minds of those who were in Austin.

Well, weather flows from west to east....

S.

=====
<!-- "To imagine a language is to imagine a form of life."
     - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Philosophical Investigations -->

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4cW4jC/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM