Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

EXPRESS may not be well-known, but I think that's changing.
The Part 28 document is to be edited to reflect XML Schema
instead of (in addition to?) XML DTD notation for the
bindings.  Some publicity activism too.  See recently:

http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2001-03-19-c.html
STEPml

and see:

http://xml.coverpages.org/stepExpressXML.html

Seems to me what would be ideal is a modeling environment
(I mean software) that supports data modeling of the
kind that EXPRESS understands and UML visualizes, but...
where the UML diagrams are generated by the software
based upon the internal representation, which can store
all the abstract schema knowledge and constraints, in
whatever expression language.  Generating the common
"syntax-only" (meta)markup representations should be
an intellectually-downstream enterprise as well...

Last I looked at OMG's OCL, it lacked some fundamentals
(like co-occurrence constraints, booleans, or something...
was disappointing; maybe 3 years ago... probably why
Eliot rolled his own.

On 28 Mar 2001, Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> | How would you rank EXPRESS in order of well-known-ness?
>
> Not very highly, I'm afraid. If it were well-known I would prefer it
> above all our other alternatives. I'd say that it's definitely
> better-known than property sets, and also definitely less than UML.
>
> Learning the bits of EXPRESS that you need in order to comprehend the
> topic map model as I think it would end up should be very easy,
> though. I think Eliot's estimate of 10 minutes for learning the
> necessary UML would apply to an EXPRESS model as well.
>
> | Property sets are reasonably well known in the markup community, but
> | I don't think Express is known at all.
>
> Very little, I'd say. The markup community is just the first step,
> though. Eventually everyone and his grandmother needs to know this
> stuff. :-)

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/EVNB7A/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM