Subject: RE: [xtm-wg] A challenge on "the graph"

I think the second paragraph of the text below is right to the point. I've
been watching this discussion for several days. I see lots of interesting
ideas floating by, but I keep getting the feeling that lots of folks aren't
talking TO each other, they're talking PAST each other. I think the
participants ought to step back a bit from graphs, groves, UML, EXPRESS, and
other mechanisms for describing something and decide what it is that they're
trying to describe. Just saying "PM", "DM", "TMQL", etc. isn't good enough,
since it looks to the observer like those are just more jargon like UML and
groves, and there's as much disagreement about goals as there is about
means.

Jim Mason

	<snip>

> Each of these "layers" can impose its own rules of how and what is to be
> done building on the rules of the previous "layers". Some of these
> "layers" will impose meaning or exploitation rules (sort names in XTM,
> in NS (application) all text must be associated with a language, the use
> of a relational database can impose data integrity rules, etc)
> Further implications, this time on what content we are going to put in,
> derive from what you want to do with it: authorization rights, validity
> attributes and NameIt. The work Cyc, DAML+OIL and others working on
> ontologies and my visions on how we might be able to realize automatic
> maintenance on the data do have a lot of implications on this level.
>
> IMHO the actual discussion (altough very interesting) mixes some these
> "layers" which makes communication a bit difficult.
>
> Friendly greetings
>
> Ronald Poell
>
> --
> Ronald Poell
> Consultant Knowledge Management
> Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research (TNO)
>
> Oude Waalsdorperweg 63
> P.O. Box 96864
> 2509 JG The Hague
> The Netherlands
>
> T +31 70 374 02 00
> F +31 70 374 06 52
>
> http://www.tno.nl
>
> email poell@fel.tno.nl

Do you have 128-bit SSL encryption server security?
Get VeriSign's FREE Guide, "Securing Your
Web Site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/2cW4jC/c.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM