Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Summary of PM discussion

"Geir Ove Grønmo" wrote:

> * Lars Marius Garshol
> | The next step is perhaps for the participants in the debate to state
> | their current positions, so that we can see if we need to discuss this
> | any further, or whether we are sufficiently close to consensus that we
> | can just make a decision and move forward.
>
> My preferences are (in order of preference):
>
>     infoset (descriptive)
>   + UML (graphical)
>   + OCL (constraints)
>
> I'd prefer to have all these three, where the infoset contains the
> descriptions of the model. This model could also be visualized as UML
> diagrams and the constrains on the model could be described using
> OCL. This could happen without any of the three stepping on each others
> toes.

The only difference between what Geir Ove proposes and my normal
modeling practice is that in my practice the prose descriptions of the
model (the "infoset") is literally bound to the UML classes and packages
in the source data for the model. Otherwise, they are equivalent, I
believe.

What do try to do is limit the prose to that necessary to say things not
already said by the graphical components of the model or the
formally-stated constraints or descriptions of things that are not
obvious from the model (for example, pointing out that certain important
derived relations are in fact derivable, something that could be puzzled
out from the model but that might not be obvious to the typical reader).

Cheers,

E.

W. Eliot Kimber | Lead Brain

1016 La Posada Dr. | Suite 240 | Austin TX  78752
    T 512.656.4139 |  F 512.419.1860 | eliot@isogen.com

w w w . d a t a c h a n n e l . c o m

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4cW4jC/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM