Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Summary of PM discussion

> * Sam Hunting
> |
> | I've tried to put all the ideas I've read on the PM into a
> | high-level summary as follows.

[lars]
> Thank you very much for this, Sam! I think it was the right step at
> the right time. I wanted to do it myself, but had no bandwidth.

I will then maintain (or reconstitute) the "checkpoint" document.

I'll release a revised version at the end of next week. Then we will be
able to see if the discussion has progressed ;-)

[lars]
> The next step is perhaps for the participants in the debate to state
> their current positions, so that we can see if we need to discuss
> this any further, or whether we are sufficiently close to consensus
> that we can just make a decision and move forward.

Well, that may be *a* next step. We still have some contributions to
come from Bernard, for example, that may affect the discussion. And I'd
prefer to replace "state their current positions" with "seek
understanding of all the positions" ;-) That said, I'm happy this
"checkpoint" document is serving as a useful tool.
[sam]
> | No.   Name Data model  Notation               comment
> | ---   ---- ----------- ---------------------- ---------------
> | [3]   DM   graph       prose (SRN)            Published(DC)
> |            OO          UML (Luis)             Published(4)
> |            OO          UML (Eliot)            Post-Paris(3)
> |            grove       property set           Mentioned
>
> |            graph       unknown (chercheurs)   Forthcoming
> |            N.A.        prose (Lars)(2)        Published(5)
> |            ??          EXPRESS (Eliot)        Mentioned

[lars]
> Of these, my preferences are, in this order:
>
>  - infoset-based
>  - EXPRESS
>  - UML
>  - property sets/groves

I guess I see things, well, more "multidimensionally". My (CURRENT)
preference is for the following:

   - graph model (the underlying formalism)
   - UML notation (what the model is expressed in)
   - infoset-style prose description

[sam]
> | Another expressed concern is that the notation proposed may bias
> the
> | data model. For example, UML is by definition an OO approach, yet
> | systems that must manage topic maps that are terabytes in size may
> | not want the overhead of objects.

[lars]
> This concern is quite simply mis

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4cW4jC/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM