Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Simplified requirements

* Murray Altheim

| The big problem I have is similar to Lars Marius' complaint: where
| does one store <resourceData>?

* Sam Hunting

| Surely the "where" is "up to the application"? I must not be
| understanding your question precisely.

It is up to the application in some sense, but clearly the XTMP must
place some constraints on what the contents of a <resourceData>
element should be attached to. The strawman model does this by saying
that it should be attached to either a variant name item or an
occurrence item.

| We need to be careful about assuming typed properties as a given,
| because that is most convenient for an OO program or an OO database.
| Maybe some programs don't want the overhead of making every node an
| object.

I agree that implementations should be allowed to choose other
representations than objects with properties; for example, they should
be allowed to store topic maps in relational databases or as Prolog
facts in a logic database.

This is why the conformance section of the strawman says an
implementation only must "Make available to applications all the
information described in section 2. More information may well be
provided, but nothing may be left out."

There is no requirement that the same kind of model be used, just that
all the information in the model be there.

So while I agree with this requirement I don't think it is an argument
against a property-based model.

--Lars M.

Secure your servers with 128-bit SSL encryption!
Grab your copy of VeriSign's FREE Guide,
"Securing Your Web site for Business." Get it now!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/4cW4jC/e.WCAA/bT0EAA/2n6YlB/TM