Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] core.xtm

Steve Pepper wrote:

> At 08:21 22.05.2001 +0200, Florian G. Haas wrote:
> >Just to perhaps pitch in another issue for the people meeting in Berlin: I'd
> >like to add that country.xtm, among other issues, currently isn't even valid
> >XTM since it contains a <variantName> which in turn contains #PCDATA instead
> >of either a <resourceRef> or <resourceData> (see country.xtm#AF).
> >
> >I contacted Murray Altheim about this about a month ago; the reply was that
> >both country.xtm and language.xtm were currently undergoing a major
> >overhaul. What's the status on this matter?
>
> The public subject topic maps country.xtm and language.xtm are not
> normative parts of the XTM specification; at least, not yet. Their
> status is in some ways related to the upcoming proposal that
> TopicMaps.Org should join OASIS as a member section. It is my feeling
> that the standardization of sets of public subjects such as these
> would be one of the major tasks for a technical committee within
> OASIS. I don't know, but it could well be that Murray would consider
> taking his work into that forum. Murray?

Actually, the country.xtm and language.xtm topic maps *are* normative
to XTM 1.0, just as is core.xtm. I don't see anything in the spec to
suggest otherwise.

My three weeks in the desert finished, I'm back to work on a number of
projects, including the updates to countries and languages. As seems
now typical, the world has reprioritized my life again, but the bulk
of the work on these topic maps has been completed, I just need to
finish up the prose. And we need a submission process to allow for
new projects, which we don't currently have in our charter. I've been
looking forward to our movement into OASIS rather than spending time
on rewriting the charter for TopicMaps.Org, to be honest. Sort of like
fixing up your car before you buy a new one, there's pros and cons.

If the time frame for this "Summer 2001" I'm likely to be able to
deliver on time.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

         america was once a paradise
         of timberland and stream
         but it is dying because of the greed
         and money lust of a thousand little kings -- archy (1927)