Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Re: Trying to locate zoological taxonomy

Murray,

I uploaded the animal and plant XML files to my website so you can play
around with it.

There are some comments in the dtd that allow you to understand how
everything sticks together.

If you plan to do some serious work with it please use these files as
PSI reference (in particular if you republish the content in XMT form).
If you make an XSL file to convert these into XTM, I would be
interested.

Not all the cross referenced notions are available (yet) but I am
working on it.

You can access them via http://wwww.notionsystem.com (XML-Samples) or
directly via
http://users.raketnet.nl/rapoell/XMLSamples.htm

Feel welcom to ask me for complementary explanations, if necessary.

Friendly greetings

Ronald Poell

Murray Altheim wrote:

> Okay. I had someone forward me a message from a biologist where my
> question put me at the brunt of some lighthearted humour. To quell
> the rumour that I was asking for the list of every species in the
> world and how they all relate to each other, let me say that I'm
> really interested in creating a topic map such that people who
> refer to a living creature (and have that creature's genus/species
> already) can link their node into an XTM-based zoological taxonomy.
> I certainly don't claim to be an expert on zoological taxonomy (heck,
> I don't really claim to be an expert in what I'm getting paid to do,
> though I sure swagger a lot at times), and I understand that there
> are several different taxonomical models, depending on what part
> of the tree one is in.
>
> In terms of scope, I'm guessing that if it were possible to create
> a topic map that reached down to whatever level is above genus
> (which seems in some cases to be tribe or subtribe?), this would
> allow the functionality I mentioned above. But I certainly expect
> to rely on a real expert to assist me. The USDA has an ITIS database
> which I've downloaded, but the download itself doesn't give me
> enough information on how the various taxons fit together, though a
> start at least.
>
> And as I mentioned previously, if the source is in some computer-
> readable format (preferably text or markup of some kind, but at
> least text) I can perhaps use it. I've had several private offers
> of help which I'm trying to pursue with some measure of intelligence.
> (and thanks for any help!)
>
> Oh, turns out Jack was looking for a project very similar to this
> for something he's cooking up, so this would help both of us.
>
> Murray
>
> [Ronald, does this clarify?]
> Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
> XML Technology Center
> Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025
>
>       In the evening
>       The rice leaves in the garden
>       Rustle in the autumn wind
>       That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu

Ronald Poell
Consultant Knowledge Management
Netherlands Organization for Applied Scientific Research (TNO)

Oude Waalsdorperweg 63
P.O. Box 96864
2509 JG The Hague
The Netherlands