Subject: Re: [xtm-wg] Fixing language.xtm and country.xtm

Steve Pepper wrote:

> At 09:19 25.06.2001 -0700, Murray Altheim wrote:
> >I note that we've even had resolutions in this group that have passed
> >that have not been acted on, such as the seemingly unanimous decision
> >to put the names of the original editors of the XTM 1.0 Specification
> >back into the spec where they belong. That five minutes of work has
> >not occurred yet either.
>
> The reason nothing happened is that we were unable, despite repeated
> attempts, to elicit the permission of Steve N. and Michel.

Understood. They may want to not have their names on the specification,
but considering their contribution to it and the best interests of the
community they were instrumental in creating, I'd hope that in the end
their names would end up back where they were originally. But I certainly
understand your reticence. I'm sure you'll agree we all need to move
forward or this entire venture gets pretty silly.

> Since various people (yourself included) had threatened legal action
> at one time or another, Eric Freese and I decided not to proceed until
> we had that permission. I believe Eric invited Jack Park (who proposed
> the original motion) to try and get it.
>
> We are still waiting.

I'll let Eric confirm or deny, but my impression from the votes cast
was that Jack's motion did pass. Eric?

> In my opinion, we should do nothing more with XTM until the new OASIS
> member section has constituted itself.
>
> If you have revised versions of the two documents, why not
> publish them on your web site (as drafts) and let's have an open
> discussion about them along with Lars Marius' comments.

Because I'd like the discussion to occur under some stated process. For
me to publish them now, I'm not sure that agreement or disagreement over
their content would have any meaning, ie., absent a process the only
thing that could occur is some intelligent dialogue but no result.

> That would be a useful and constructive contribution to the work that
> the OASIS member section will be discussing in August.

Given that I have little other option, I'll likely end up publishing
them on my own site prior to the meeting, but it's certainly not what
I'd wish to do. It's too bad we hadn't been able to pass a resolution
on publishing on the topicmaps.org web site prior to finishing up the
last meeting. I'd love to have the "./tr/" and "./wd/" directories
available as we discussed.

Murray

Murray Altheim, SGML/XML Grease Monkey     <mailto:altheim&#64;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, 1601 Willow Rd., MS UMPK17-102, Menlo Park, CA 94025

         america was once a paradise
         of timberland and stream
         but it is dying because of the greed
         and money lust of a thousand little kings -- archy (1927)