Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] xtm.xml in IE

"Thomas B. Passin" wrote:

> [david aumueller]
> >
> > Internet Explorer gives me a "reference to undeclared namespace prefix:
> xlink" error when I try to open a simple
> > XTM file:
> >

> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <!DOCTYPE topicMap SYSTEM "xtm1.dtd">
> > <topicMap xmlns="http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/"
> xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
> >

> > Sure it works fine without the doctype-declaration...
> >
> I think that IE, noticing the document type declaration, is insisting on
> validating the document.  If the dtd does not define the namespace
> "attribute", IE would return this response.

The DTD does define both namespace attributes. IE is simply trying to do
some funky XML
 namespace processing.

> What to put in the DTD to
> pursuade it to accept the namespcae prefix?  Sorry, I can't help, but try
> the obvious constructions.  How to get IE not to validate?  If you were
> running msxml3 under program control you could, but I don't think you can
> when it's being run by the browser.
>
> I've seen these unwanted validating efforts too.  Not a lot of help, I'm
> afraid.

I don't think this is actually validation but an attempt to resolve the
namespace URI, which isn't supposed to happen.

You could try processing this:

   <?xml version="1.0"?>
   <!DOCTYPE foo [
     <!ELEMENT foo EMPTY >
     <!ATTLIST foo
         xmlns        CDATA  #FIXED "http://www.foo.com/2001/foo"
         xmlns:xlink  CDATA  #FIXED "http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"
   ]>
   <foo xmlns="http://www.foo.com/2001/foo"
        xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" />

This is a completely valid XML instance that should provide the same
namespace test as the XTM DTD. If IE chokes on the above, it'll choke
on any XTM document. This *might* help, but I don't use IE myself so
I can't test this hypothesis.

Murray

Murray Altheim                         <mailto:murray.altheim&#x40;sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu