Subject: Re: [topicmapmail] Re: [topicmaps-comment] RE: Ontologicalextravagance in the Topic Map Graph?

Ivan,

I think authors of TMPM4 were driven by exactly this idea to minimize number
of basic
concepts which are nodes and arcs. And 3/4 is where they got to.
If you believe that you have any better ideas, everybody would be glad to
here them.

Here is a quick summary of TMPM4 as I see it:
a-node and t-node are basic nodes.
Assoc-Topic is the basic arc, it is the only labeled, or "triangle" arc.
Assoc-Template arc also connects associations and topics, but is really
different as it hides a singularity
of instanceOf and subClass relationships inside.
s-nodes provide namespace mechanism which looks pretty important to me.
Assoc-Scope and Scope-Topic are corresponding primitive arcs.

So we have 3 types of objects: 3 nodes, 3 arcs and 1 triangle arc.

BTW I missed which 2 representations are you talking about.

RDF is not ignored, there are several researches on how to express
Topic Maps in RDF via TMPM4:
http://www.semanticweb.org/SWWS/program/full/paper53.pdf
http://www.cogx.com/rdfglasses.html

--Nikita Ogievetsky