Subject: RE: [topicmaps-comment] invitation to post tech material resituatedness etc

Hi Paul

I invite you to (possibly one more time) post discussion of the following
topics in topicmaps-comment:

1) situatedness, what you perceive it to be, in realm expressed by graph
structures (ie "graphs")

2) situatedness, what you perceive it to be, in realm expressed by
specifically topic maps (ie XTM), as they are now or as they might be in the
future (with your explanation as to what needs to be added to the current
version of XTM to allow them to support your notions of situatedness).

3) your notions of scope, and how the current scope mechanism in XTM (XML
Tpoc Maps) might be expanded or otherwise changed, such that XTM might
support your notion of scope.

4) your notions on formative ontology. how is current XTM lacking in this
area? what changes and or additions do you feel would be necessary to
support your notions of formative ontologies?

constructive and clear discussion of these things is welcomed by some member
of the XTM using community, myself included.

I further suggest that if you can provide discussion of how stratification
might be enabled in topic maps that that also would be a useful discussion
for you to provide here.

The XTM community is largely busy trying to perform revenue earning
activities with software at the same time that they are working on
developing and furthering the topic map scene. They respond better to
constructive technical discussion than to fault finding and will be
persuaded to develop software when there is some hope of tying the
development into remuneration in some way. (there has been great discussion
of the need for $ elsewhere).

If there is any reluctance on the part of the topic map community to your
ideas Paul I think it might be because they have not seen technical
discussion of your ideas which they were able to clearly understand. Perahps
if the ideas were stated in language more in concert with terms that the TM
community is familar with that the concepts would be then conveyed instead
of confusion due to nonfamiliarity with your terminilogical usage. Explain
the concepts in simple language. I think you would get an audience.

David Dodds

David Dodds