Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] mapping topic maps on a relation database

[Danny Ayers]

> Looking good, and it's a very good sign that the binding will work pretty
> much the same Java/Javascript/Python.
>
> Coming from a Java angle at least, I certainly do think that specifying
APIs
> as interfaces make a lot of sense - abstract classes can make unnecessary
> demands on how to implement, especially with the multiple inheritance
thing
> (subclass or use composition?).
>
> A couple of minor points, but before things get set in stone - the naming
is
> a little inconsistent e.g. :
>
> getAssocIndex()
> getAssociations()

Agreed...

> also the typing isn't clear (mainly due to it being JS - definitely Java
> interface time), an extreme example : getResourceOrData() -  does it
always
> return the String "maybe"?

Yes, it would be a string or a uri (also a string).  I find I haven't use
used this method much, since if it's a uri I usually want to build a
hyperlink for it, so I have to know whether I've got just data or a uri
anyway.  So that method could be ditched.

> I'd suggest having a looking at the SVG spec appendices - there's a
binding
> for Java & one for JavaScript that are essentially the same, but the style
> in which each is expressed is interesting.

Will do, thanks.

> Anyway, apart from niggles, it's looking very good. I've been looking
> forward (when time permits) to having a play with TM code, but the
prospect
> of coding the API from the specs didn't appeal, so thanks guys!

Thank you, Danny.

> Any chance of making the utility code available? I for one would certainly
> be interested.

Sure, but it's not as clean as the core.  It has a lot of functions like
addTopic(map,topic), among other things.  It grows from a decent base in a
sort of adhoc way as I need something - at some point I will need to get it
under better control.  tm_utility is especially in need of refactoring since
it contains functions to build topic map components and handle topic maps,
mixed together with debugging things and other utility routines.

See the attachment.

Cheers,

Tom P