Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] mergeMap Pointing to More Than One topicMapElement

Gentlebeings,

I follow your list, but because of my involvement with HumanMarkup
and Web Services, I don't often have much of anything to say wrt your
work, but this thread raises a couple of issues for both Web Services
and HumanMarkup, with more concern wrt HumanMarkup. My concern is
that I have already recommended that HumanMarkup adopt and adapt the
DAML-OIL ontologies. We have to harmonize our vocabulary with many
others, but especially with TopicMaps in general and PubSub in
particular. We haven't voted yet to adopt that set of upper
ontologies, and I don't know if there are any significant conflicts
or discrepancies between DAML-OIL and Cyc, which, (correct me if I'm
wrong) you tend to favor.  However, regardless of that, which we can
adapt to, allowing through the specification for known ambiguities in
allowable practices for merging maps could cause us some headaches
since we expect to recommend TopicMaps as the primary
lookup/association reference for HumanMarkup-based applications to
use.

To boil it down to the two concerns, is there a clear reason to
prefer an upper ontology, and is there a significant vulnerability
through the mergemap ambiguity for proliferation of non-specific
associations in a returned map that includes merged maps?

I really just want to know if I need to listen in on your list more
carefully. Your work is very important to us. I wish I could clone
myself, but I can't so I have spend my time as wisely as I can to
keep up with the more important work that bears on the efforts in
which I actively participate.

Thanks.

Ciao,
Rex