Subject: Re: [topicmaps-comment] OpenCyc and Topic Maps: Progress Report

Martin Bryan wrote:

> Eliot
>

>>The real
>>challenge will be mapping the input topic map's public subjects to
>>existing Cyc constants and figuring out what the mapping conventions
>>should be.
>
> How easy is it to identify Cyc constants as URLs?

Quite easy. The work I did on this reified each Cyc constant as a
topic, and used the absolute URL of the Cyc HTML documentation as
a subject indicator, so one could consider either the reified topic
or the original HTML ID as a suitable PSI. I asked Doug Lenat and
he said that the Cyc Upper Ontology web documentation IDs are stable.

As I mentioned to Eliot, the hard part here is not the constants but
attempting to represent all components (relations, variables, micro-
theories, etc.) of the ontology. If you're only interested in the
constants and assertions, this is pretty straightforward.

Murray

Murray Altheim                  <http://kmi.open.ac.uk/people/murray/>
Knowledge Media Institute
The Open University, Milton Keynes, Bucks, MK7 6AA, UK

      If it wants to be a global power and a player in the
      Atlantic alliance, Europe has to get back into the
      business of making war. -- Newsweek Magazine, June 3, 2002