Subject: RE: [topicmaps-comment] Real-World Applications of Topic Maps

From: Lars Marius Garshol
> There is more, but obviously a number of users keep a lid on what they are doing with TMs. :-(

Thanks and I can understand the ND nature of applying this emerging technology.

It seems to me that one way to assess the maturity of a particular Web technology is to look at how it is actually
deployed on the Web.  For example, I would not say that XLink is very mature because none of the major Web browsers
have implemented the full XLink features (yet).  So, even though some of the novel ideas have been presented, for example:
1) Topic Maps for Portals (http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Languages/XML/Conferences/XML2000/topicmaps.html)
2) Topic Maps for CMS (http://www.idealliance.org/papers/xml02/dx_xml02/html/abstract/06-00-17.html)

I have yet to see either Portal or CMS vendors deploying them.  There could be other good examples that I am not aware of.

Any comments?

Thanks,

Scott