Subject: [ubl-comment] Re: [oagis-users] Big News from OAGI

At 04:40 AM 12/9/2002, David Connelly (OAGI) wrote:

>MEMBERSHIP:  We celebrate the following new members in the Open
>Applications Group:
>
>[.......]- Intuit
>(<http://www.intuit.com/>http://www.intuit<http://www.intuit.com/>.com/)

Does this imply that Intuit will in future, provide any standards-based
interfaces?  That would be an excellent development.  I would regard that
as an earthquake, and should set off a stampede by users as well as the IT
and financial services industries, into the OAG.

Excuse me however, if I am a bit skeptical. The small business community
has for *many* years, needed open APIs or at least, document import/export
from Intuit Quickbooks and Quicken, and has only recently begun to see a
very expensive "developer network" empowering VARs, ISVs, etc. to make a
living from their APIs.

Market dynamics did not allow shrinkwrap vendors to publish efficient
import/export for interoperability (general ledger) because that allowed
users to migrate to other packages.  That translates into higher prices for
users. To this very day it remains impossible or uneconomically expensive,
to migrate a Quickbooks company to any other software.  Everybody knows,
you just start over with Peachtree or whatever, on January 1 with an empty
installation.

Does the adoption of global standard like OAGIS overcome this well-known,
long-established economic problem (that shrinkwrap cannot allow customers
to export)?

Does the "network effect" from participating in electronic markets, access
to greater revenue, lower sales, etc overcome the loss of stickiness for
the software vendor?  Do these things compel a higher price from
consumers?  Does the improvement in integration?

Until knowing the intention of Intuit I will remain quite puzzled by this
Intuit membership.  I must assume, they are studying standards-based
interfaces for their midrange version, whereas, it is most needed by
Individuals and SMEs in Quickbooks Basic, and in Quicken. Since they are a
newcomer to the Midrange market they're singing a different
tune.  Newcomers always espouse open interfaces :-)

An Intuit employee was announced as reaching voting membership in the OASIS
UBL group March 26 by Jon Bosak but Intuit is no longer show in the
membership and Intuit's participation or adoption of UBL is not evident
anywhere I can see,
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/#members

Intuit should port their software to BSD (which is, MAC OS/X).  Intuit
should implement an integrated RADIUS server, ebXML MS, or other
standards-based transport, to provide a monolithic end-to-end alignment of
ARs and APs between Quickbooks users.   These measures would enable
individuals and SMEs an independent capability to conduct business without
portals.  OAGIS semantics will be a good step, but don't really get us all
the way home.   That's like unlocking the prisoners from their cells while,
the main gate is still locked.

TOdd
Todd Boyle CPA  9745-128th Ave NE  Kirkland WA
International Accounting Services, LLC  www.gldialtone.com
425-827-3107  editor, AR/AP everywhere  www.arapxml.net