Subject: Re: Kavi meeting with the UBL chairs

Karl,

I'm including the ubl-csc chairs list this time in order to cut
down a bit on the delay caused by having me in the loop.  Internal
Sun demands on my time have made my ordinarily lacklustre
responsiveness much worse recently.

| We would be happy to talk with you and the UBL SC chairs about any
| problems you are having with Kavi. Unfortunately, you've picked a
| time that's right on top of our weekly staff meeting. Could you
| make this 24 hours earlier or later?

(Karl is responding to my suggestion that we meet Thursay 17 April
at 8 a.m. California time to discuss Kavi technical issues.)

I'm despairing of finding a time when we can get together for a
one-hour call.  Our problem is that the 8 a.m. slot is already
taken on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  Perhaps we can work
out something together in this thread.  Remember that we have
subcommittee chairs in both Europe and Australia, so our options
are pretty limited.

| Also, I asked you a week ago to send us specifics on any problems
| that you were having so that we could look into them. As far as I
| know we haven't heard back from you. It's difficult to look into
| solutions for problems unless we know what to look for. If you
| could give us details in advance of the meeting then we could be
| better prepared to have answers for you.

Anne Hendry got back to me earlier this week with some comments
that I am only now catching up with.  I append these below.

I'll note up front that some of the problems relating to the way
memberships were handled were caused by my failure to get you
information you asked for prior to the transition.  I'm leaving
these comments in to keep Anne's input intact, but everyone should
understand that I am responsible for a lot of what went wrong with
this.

I think the rest of what Anne has to say speaks for itself.  My
take on all this is that about 80 percent of the problems could be
solved simply by trusting a few of us with ftp access to part of
the web site.  The previous system limited our access to the ubl
portion of the site and allowed us to work very flexibly within
that limitation.  This is starting to look to me like a hugely
difficult set of problems that could be solved with a single
judicious policy decision.

I don't think it's necessary to respond in detail to the comments
below (particulary since some of those responses would be just a
tidge embarrassing to Yours Truly); they are provided for
background.  Also, I suspect that some of the link problems may
have already been fixed over the last few days; we've all noticed
the work you guys have been doing to address these specific
problems.  I think it would be better to find *some* acceptable
time for a phone call so that we could get a whole lot of stuff
out of the way fairly quickly and discuss the real problem, which
is that making everything go through a mechanical interface isn't
allowing us to operate effectively.

Jon