ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] UBL vs xCBL 4.0 - and SAP implementations

Roger,

The SAP-CommerceOne relationship had as its primary practical consequence
SAP's introduction of "Professional Buyer."

SAP Professional Buyer, like Ariba Technologies' and CommerceOne's own
offers, was aimed at "non-production" buying (office supplies, maintenance
and consumables, some services) as opposed to "production buying" (e.g., a
car company buying parts for assembly). SAP Professional Buyer also
supported what it terms OCI (open catalog interface"), Ariba Technologies
(and Oracle) term "punchout," and CommerceOne referred to as "Roundtrip."
These are primarily aimed at "configurable" goods and services (e.g., Dell
or Cisco's online configurators) or goods in very large catalogs (e.g.,
Barnes and Noble's) or goods with rapidly changing or per transaction
pricing (e.g., chemicals and gases).

"Professional Buyer" was also somewhat (and perhaps deliberately, given
sensitivities of purchasing organizations) misnamed, because it was really
aimed at empowering the "requisitioner."

Below are links to some SAP information regarding Professional Buyer.

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn?rid=/webcontent/uuid/ff03d072-0501-0010-aa88
-8018506a2ebe

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn?rid=/webcontent/uuid/ff03d072-0501-0010-aa88
-8018506a2ebe

Theoretically, cXML or xCBL could be used for production buying, but for the
most part the major EDI standards (and industry-specific variants)already
occupied that space.

					Fulton Wilcox
					Colts Neck Solutions LLC