ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Applicability of 'Forwarding instructions' in theabsence of an ordering context

Jan,

As noted in the description of 4.8 Initiate Transport Services, what that
section addresses are some of the complexities of international trade or
even some domestic trade involving complex logistical and accountability
handoffs.

Section 4.2.1 Supplementary Roles, mentions that there may be the need to
introduce "supplementary roles" beyond the role of buyer and seller. If the
buyer and seller are the only two parties to the transaction, you typically
do not need these additional supplementary roles.

In international trade, there are many scenarios that present complexities -
e.g., at what point does title to the goods being bought shift from the
supplier to the buyer? Has some portion of the buyer's or seller's
responsibility for transportation, customs duties, customers reporting, etc.
been outsourced to some other parties? What are the common carrier's
accountabilities and who is negotiating with the common carrier? A single
fulfillment transaction can spawn a multitude of documents and copy-tos.

Your scenario has none of these complexities. The rental company as customer
merely orders local physical pickup of an asset that the rental company
already owns, with the chosen supplier doing the pickup. Odds are today that
these transactions are simple enough to be initiated by phone or fax, so
some equally straightforward UBL offer should be more than adequate as a
substitute.

						Fulton Wilcox
						Colts Neck Solutions LLC

 that may be provided by different parties
whether the Consignor in a Transportation process is actually equal to the
Despatch Party or Seller in the Procurement process depends on the specific
circumstances.

The wheelchair Supplier may store chairs at a local warehouse. The warehouse
will actually despatch the chair to the Delivery Party.