ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Applicability of 'Forwarding instructions' in the absence of an ordering context

I think your best bet is to gather a small group to look into these issues
related to which if any UBL 2 documents can be used for the domain
in question and to be ready to create conformant custom document types if
necessary. It looks like they are beyond resolution by simple discussion
and some research would have to be conducted into the legal requirements,
etc in your locality.

I have some reservations about how general statements in the main body
of the UBL 2 spec relate to conformant use of the UBL document types,
in comparison to the weight of the schemas and their definitions. As such
I would interpret UBL's conformance requirements (still to be fully elaborated
in the forthcoming Customisation Guidelines) as implying that as long as the
use of the documents doesn't contravene the document definitions found in
the schemas then reuse of the documents is OK without change when the
instance structure, semantics and syntax conform to the schemas. This
means an Order can be used as a Delivery Service Request Order as long
as the definition of the OrderType allows it and the instance is valid by the
Order schema. The OrderType definition of UBL 2 reads
"The document used to order goods and services" so the semantics don't
prevent its use for services. Local requirements might dictate that the
same document type used for purchase orders not be used for delivery
service request orders.

I don't think it has yet been made a firm conformance requirement that a
document's use match the UBL 2 spec process diagram and description.
Otherwise this would need to be added to the Custmisation Guidelines
document and I don't think this has been included in the latest draft.

So, in my opinion, it is a matter of simply looking at the Order and the
Transport domain documents to determine whether they can be used in
this domain without semantic, structural or syntactic change. That would
be no small task in my experience (or the experience I know others have
had). So best to find a group interested in this at the broadest/highest
level - such as an auto-industry or auto-rental or vehicle-delivery industry
standards group to get the economy of scale.