ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Re: [ubl] Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 13 May 2009

Well, if it were merely a matter of the technical issues
(politics aside) it would seem to be a really bad idea
to store the version information in then namespace:
In my opinion (and others' I think) this is because the
namespace is very hard to change (and as Ken points
out very course grained). All the more so when the
version will need maximum flexibility as it does (I think)
with the codes like currency code. If I understand your
view, Mark, it is that a version change for the currency
code, etc should have to wait for a version change of
UBL. Now, if we add to that the need for being able to
handle both versions in the same UBL version, it would
mean improving on the schema design built into the
UBL 2.0 NDR which mixes some of the CEFACT
features with non-CEFACT (non-ATG2) features. But
following what I think you are saying, Mark, about trying
to merge the two schema designs by UBL following more
the ATG2 design then it would lead to a need for not only
the currency codes version introduction waiting for the
UBL version change but on top of that the UBL version
change waiting for ATG2 to meet the said requirements
with an improvement in the ATG2 design (to allow multiple
versions of codelists to be used with the same set of
schemas - the same set of schemas to be able to support
multiple versions of the same codelists for currency code,
etc). Plus there is no hint that ATG2 would even go that
way. This would be dire for those countries waiting to use
their new currency codes alongside the existing ones
without having to keep on supporting two sets of schema
versions in order to do so. What do they get in return?
Or is that just getting into the political issues?

Best

Steve