Subject: Re: FW: [ubl-lcsc] Stylesheets delivered to Lisa; interesting image attached

Thank you Sue and Tim for your kind words.

The UBL committee made it easy for me by responding to questions and
suggestions and accommodating my requirements for XML processing in the
flavours of the schemas that were refined at the 11th hour.  As I said
during the teleconference, I couldn't have done what I did without the UBL
committee pushing hard to see that everything was there that I needed, and
I thank you all for that.

As Tim said much work remains, though, as the stylesheet infrastructure you
see after about 170 man hours of effort is just that: an infrastructure and
its documentation.  It is now debugged and ready to "plug in" the mappings
between UBL documents and form layout fields, and work should proceed
*very* quickly (there is no more infrastructure that I can think of to
enhance the process) to create the visualizations of instances of UBL
schemas once those mappings are documented and accepted.

You may have noticed by now that for six of the seven document types I am
not doing anything with instances and am only drawing boxes ... and for the
seventh document type (Order) I'm only handling a few of the fields at this
early stage.

Any lobbying you can do to UNedocs for information such as:

  (1) - allocation of document numbers for UBL documents that do not exist
        as UN documents (I'm using X## numbers for now; can we get
        "official" document numbers for new documents?  Have I used the
        correct documents for the UBL documents where I'm already using UN
        document numbers?)

  (2) - sactioned modifications of the traditional layouts to meet UBL needs
        (how can "old" fields not being addressed by UBL be replaced with
        "new" fields carrying important UBL information? I don't see it as
        very important to keep around a field that was useful for manual
        systems but not useful for UBL.)

  (3) - guidance in the mappings (though I think you and Jean have that in
        hand already; which is magic to me: I'm a stylesheet geek and don't
        have the subject matter expertise to know what goes where like the
        two of you have demonstrated to me that you have)

... would be very helpful.

After that, it is up to the users of UBL to tell us about the formatting
and human presentation of the instances so we can respond to their needs.

I can't wait!

...................... Ken

p.s. I'm also hoping to research how to turn this stuff inside out and
perhaps build a form-based UBL instance creation infrastructure with a web
browser.

--
Upcoming hands-on in-depth   Europe:         February 17-21, 2003
XSLT/XPath and/or XSL-FO     North America:      June 16-20, 2003

G. Ken Holman                mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com
Crane Softwrights Ltd.         http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0   +1(613)489-0999 (F:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                      Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                              Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X  Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-10-1              Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Male Breast Cancer Awareness http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc