ubl-lsc message

Subject: [ubl-lsc] Minutes of the OASIS UBL Liaison Subcommittee (LSC)2002.01.23

Minutes of the OASIS UBL Liaison Subcommittee (LSC) 2002.01.23

The OASIS UBL Liaison Subcommittee (LSC) met in Menlo Park,
California, 23 January 2002.  Attendance was as follows:

VOTING MEMBERS

   Jon Bosak (TC chair)
   Mark Crawford (TC vice chair)
   Richard Mader (ARTS, by phone)
   Zack Coffin (XBRL, by phone)

OBSERVERS

   Stuart Feder
   Ron Kleinman
   Garret Minakawa
   Sue Probert
   Ray Seddigh

SC members Derek Coleman (HP, RosettaNet) and Bill French
(Contivo, EIDX) were unable to attend the meeting.

1. Calendar

   It was decided that Jon Bosak should create an event calendar
   to help guide us in scheduling.  Several events were noted.

2. X12

   Zack Coffin was at the X12 XML meeting yesterday and reported
   that X12 will present a pilot of their XML work at the Interop
   27-28 June in Orlando.

3. Vertical contacts

   We traded contact information (most of it incomplete) for
   various vertical industry associations.  Jon Bosak will follow
   up on these leads with help from Richard Mader and Ron
   Kleinman.

4. Government

   Sue Probert noted that she will be presenting to the World
   Customs Organization international conference in two weeks.
   Jon Bosak noted that he has an appointment with Marty Wagner of
   the GSA 20 February.

5. Liaison collateral

   We need to define and enunciate the value proposition for
   vertical standards organizations.  A number of points were
   listed.  Jon Bosak agreed to write up something on this.

6. Meetings

   The UBL Liaison Subcommittee will hold regular telephone
   conferences every other Friday at 8 a.m. California time
   beginning 15 February 2002.  The SC will skip 1 March, but we
   believe that we will be meeting according to schedule on 15
   March, 29 March, 12 April, and 26 April.

7. Planning for Barcelona

   We noted that the meeting 18-22 March 2002 in Barcelona will
   also be an eBTWG, TMWG, BPAWG, and CDWG meeting as well as an
   EWG and UBL meeting.

   Jon Bosak and Mark Crawford have agreed to get more work done
   in March by having Mark attend the European events in March
   while Jon keeps working in parallel at home.

   We will recommend to the TC that the technical track should be
   in Barcelona to do serious work and that the content track
   should be in Barcelona both to do serious work and to meet with
   relevant EWG groups, in particular D2 and T8.

   We agreed that the meeting hosted by the EWG should be
   considered a regular UBL TC meeting for membership maintenance
   purposes even if it fails to achieve a quorum.  This is
   necessary in order that attendance by our European voting
   members counts toward meeting their OASIS TC participation
   requirements.  So we have to provide conditional mechanisms
   based on what the situation in Barcelona looks like when we get
   there.

   We will recommend to the TC that we authorize the members
   present in Barcelona, in the absence of a quorum in the SCs or
   TC, to form ad hoc input committees and adopt recommendations
   for action through email by the entire membership of the SCs or
   TC.  We note that the TC and the SCs meeting in Barcelona will
   not be able to take formal action in the absence of a quorum.

   It was noted that all of our SC chairs plan to be in attendance
   in Barcelona.

   We will propose that the TC form a Chairs SC to make logistical
   decisions about the meeting schedule in Barcelona if the TC
   itself cannot muster a quorum, the chair of the CSC to be the
   chair or vice chair of the TC.  Formation of such a group would
   also cause the creation of a handy mail list that would put
   interactions that the chairs would find necessary in any case
   into an archive.

   We will recommend to the TC that all the chairs will prepare
   reports for the ubl list and that chairs (in the absence of a
   quorum in Barcelona) will propose resolutions to their
   respective lists.

   [See the TC meeting minutes for later resolutions by the TC
   based on these recommendations.]

   We should try to present on UBL during an EWG plenary; Mark
   Crawford will look into this.

   Mark Crawford has asked for and received permission to
   circulate a letter to the EWG chairs; he will follow up on
   this.

   Mark Crawford and Sue Probert will begin to explore
   arrangements for content review with D2 and T8.  Sue will talk
   to EAN-UK.

8. Deadlines

   For purposes of coordinating the review of our first draft
   schema, we will propose the following deadlines to the LCSC:

   1. Mid-February: BIEs for P.O. to D2 and T8 [in the TC meeting,
      the LCSC agreed to a target of 2/18]

   2. Mid-March: complete package (including the PO schema) for
      consideration at the EWG meeting [the LCSC agreed to 3/11]

   We will also share the NDR work, so by mid-March [the NDRSC
   later agreed to 3/11] we need the latest version of the NDR and
   all the position papers (as works in progress).

   It was noted that all this will also be pointed to from the UBL
   web site.

   Input from the Barcelona meeting has to be back to the SC and
   TC lists by the end of March.

9. Barcelona meeting registration

   Mark has the registration and hotel forms; he will post these
   to the ubl-comment list.  Jon will make a link to the messages
   from the UBL site.

10. Press release

   We want OASIS to publish a short press release on our next
   meeting.  Highlights: Next meeting to be hosted by the EWG;
   details at (point to Mark's messages); UBL continuing to
   establish relations with national and international standards
   bodies; this is a step in that direction; we welcome the
   opportunity to begin the collaboration with international
   business standards experts.  Jon will draft some text for
   review by the LSC [the TC later decided that this should be
   generated by the Marketing SC and then reviewed by the Liaison
   SC].

11. Review by other groups

   Richard Mader said that IXRetail can review the draft P.O.; he
   needs dates, use cases, and documentation that will explain
   this to business people.  We need to discuss this further at
   our next meeting.

   Ray Seddigh will get XBRL to review.  We need to discuss this
   further at our next meeting.

   We need to discuss EIDX and RosettaNet reviews with our
   liaisons next meeting.

12. Miscellaneous

   Mark Crawford will discuss X12 liaison at the X12 meeting in
   Seattle.

   Mark Crawford will discuss government liaison opportunities
   with Marion Royal.