Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] Three new use cases (more detailed)

I attached three new use case documents that are based on the new Word
template.  These were written by Maryann Richards, using initial input from
Eve about the distinction between creating a new UBL document instance vs.
modifying a document to copy content to a similar (e.g. response) document.

These descriptions are much more detailed than the brief outlines in prior use
cases posted to this list.  I think that Maryann found a good balance between
generic and specific description.  A use case that is generic to all of UBL
and all potential users is too abstract to nail down requirements.  Yet a
specific scenario of one document for one type of business domain is too
narrow.

Maryann is writing requirements from personal experience, because she
routinely deals with over 100 vendors of the two sporting goods stores that
she and her husband own/manage in Grosse Pointe, Michigan (called "Bikes,
Blades, and Boards (B3)").  The use cases are written from the general
perspective of a specialty retailer, and the use case about schema
customization is based on the perspective of the vendors of this industry
(e.g. Nike, or other smaller equipment/clothing manufacturers).

The use case about schema customization is a early attempt to capture
requirements in this broad area.  I think that it's appropriate that the use
case does not make specific mention of the ebXML-style core component
specification and context-based assembly.  A retail manufacturer cannot be
expected to study these specifications before adding a new tax-type element to
a schema!  Instead, the use case talks about why (and roughly how) the
manufacturing customizes the schema.  More details need to be added based on
input from the group.

However, the bottom line is that we will continue to refine these use cases
(major or minor changes) so that they help UBL get clarity about its
requirements.

Cheers,
  Dave Carlson & Maryann Richards

CustomizeUBLSchema.doc