Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Proposed text for character set/encoding requirements

Eduardo Gutentag wrote:
> I would suggest that "(parsers)" be deleted from the text below.

Even though "XML processors" is the technically more accurate term, I
thought that some NDR document readers might not know what it means.
But if you think they'll grok without the parenthetical word, okay.

> I'd also like to know whether the following two sentences are
> equivalent; if yes, I'd suggest to use the second; if not, I'd
> like to understand why the first is used instead of the second.
>
> - It is recommended in any case that encoding declarations be
> provided in the XML declarations of UBL documents.
>
> - It is recommended that in all cases encoding declarations be
> provided in the XML declarations of UBL documents.

I think they mean the same thing, and your rewording is fine.

	Eve

> Eve L. Maler wrote:
>
>> At the F2F, I agreed to "Propose some declarative text describing
>> XML's minimum character set/character encoding expectations and saying
>> that UBL has the same minimum mandatory-to-implement expectations."
>> Here is an attempt that I hope Mavis will be able to squeeze into the
>> NDR document for consideration.  If there are no emailed comments by
>> next week, let's plan to accept it:
>>

>> According to the XML Recommendation [XML], the legal characters in XML
>> character data are tab, carriage return, line feed, and the legal
>> characters of Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646, as these standards are
>> updated from time to time.  It further notes that "The mechanism for
>> encoding character code points into bit patterns may vary from entity
>> to entity" and requires all XML processors (parsers) to accept the
>> UTF-8 and UTF-16 encodings of 10646.  UBL has the same requirements
>> for legal characters in XML instance documents and the same minimal
>> requirements for character encoding support in UBL-aware software.
>> Trading partners may agree on other character encodings to use among
>> themselves.  It is recommended in any case that encoding declarations
>> be provided in the XML declarations of UBL documents.
>>

>>     Eve

Sun Microsystems                     NEW!!! cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com