ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Re: UBL coordination meetings

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 jon.bosak@sun.com wrote:

>>UBL TC,

>>CROSS-POSTING
>>
>>   Duplicate mail messages are driving people crazy.  From now on,
>>   please avoid cross-posting between subcommittees.  If there is
>>   something that needs the attention of more than one SC, post it
>>   to the general UBL list (the one being used for this message).
>>
>>INDIVIDUAL RECIPIENTS
>>
>>   For the same reason, please remove names of individuals when
>>   replying to mail from UBL lists.  Otherwise, they accumulate in
>>   the mail header and result in annoying duplicate messages.
>>   (Like many people, I have been keeping the address of the
>>   individual to whom I am replying in the "To" line in order to
>>   make it clear who it is that I'm responding to.  I will have to
>>   stop doing this and instead put the name above the fragment
>>   quoted in the body of the message.  Also, though we can't
>>   require this, it is enormously helpful to excerpt the part
>>   you're commenting upon and put it inline rather than simply
>>   appending the whole thread at the bottom of each message.)

Sorry, Jon, for including your name knowing that you're also
included in ubl list.  But it serves to illustrate what I
needed to say.

I've found it useful to include names more often than otherwise
for the simple reason of "replying to them, plus posting to list".
This is more a communication requirement/desire.  It is also
important that people listed in the cc or main "To" list know
that they're being responded to, or a reply of sort might be
desired from them.

I was wondering if we might request for the machines and software
to serve us humans' communication better by auto-sorting out
the finalized out-going targeted recipients, and then performing
a "make unique" filter.  I believe it's a straight-forward
arrangement in the list-management software, though I wouldn't
know how difficult it is administratively to get to that.

Hopefully while UBL helps machines to be more "business savvy",
the machines could help us get to that better as well.

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML