ubl message

Subject: Re: UBL coordination meetings

UBL TC,

We held our first coordination call this morning with somewhat
disappointing results; only five people attended.  (For the
record: Jon Bosak, Eduardo Gutentag, Mark Crawford, Sue Probert,
Anne Hendry.)  We got some work done (see below), but this isn't
critical mass for attacking the big issues we need to resolve.  In
retrospect, the reasons for the poor turnout aren't hard to see:

 - The meeting was announced less than 24 hours in advance

 - Some key people simply cannot ever attend at the time chosen by
   the CSC

 - I didn't provide the call number, assuming that everyone knows
   the UBL bridge number by now; for future reference, here it is
   once again:

      STANDING INFORMATION FOR UBL CONFERENCE CALLS
      U.S. domestic toll-free number: (866)839-8145
      Int. access/caller paid number: (865)524-6352
      Access code: 5705229

We will hold another coordination meeting next Friday at the same
time (7 a.m. in California) and number (see above).  Meanwhile, we
will discuss the continuing schedule and format for this call at
next Wednesday's CSC meeting.

The outputs from today's call were as follows.

UBL CONCALL SCHEDULES

   One thing that became clear in trying to plan for coordination
   meetings is that we don't maintain conference call schedules in
   a single place.  The kavi interface actually does provide such
   a facility, and we should start using it consistently.  In the
   meantime, here is what appears to be our schedule at the moment
   (all times in the California time zone, known in the U.S. as
   "Pacific Standard Time"):

      Mon    LSC     07h00-08h00   monthly
      Tue    LCSC    07h00-09h00   weekly
      Wed    CSC     08h00-08h30   weekly
	     NDRSC   08h30-10h30   weekly
	     CLSC    10h30-12h30   weekly
      Thu    TTSC    08h00-10h00   weekly
	     FPSC    10h00-11h30   weekly
	     ISC     11h30-13h30   weekly
      Fri    Coord   07h00-08h00   weekly
	     Q/A     08h00-10h00   weekly

CALL CONTINUATION

   After the meeting in Montreal, I switched the concall default
   from "continues after host hangs up" to "must enter *8 to
   enable."  This has caused a lot of problems, so after all the
   calls are done for this week, I am going to have the default
   changed back.

AVAILABILITIES

   In order to schedule more effectively, we need to know weekly
   availability and nonavailability for each active UBL member.  I
   will be sending separate mail later to ask everyone for this
   information.

CROSS-POSTING

   Duplicate mail messages are driving people crazy.  From now on,
   please avoid cross-posting between subcommittees.  If there is
   something that needs the attention of more than one SC, post it
   to the general UBL list (the one being used for this message).

INDIVIDUAL RECIPIENTS

   For the same reason, please remove names of individuals when
   replying to mail from UBL lists.  Otherwise, they accumulate in
   the mail header and result in annoying duplicate messages.
   (Like many people, I have been keeping the address of the
   individual to whom I am replying in the "To" line in order to
   make it clear who it is that I'm responding to.  I will have to
   stop doing this and instead put the name above the fragment
   quoted in the body of the message.  Also, though we can't
   require this, it is enormously helpful to excerpt the part
   you're commenting upon and put it inline rather than simply
   appending the whole thread at the bottom of each message.)

TBG17 SUBMISSION

   Jon Bosak will contact Stig Korsgaard to ascertain the status
   of our submission to TBG17.

ISSUES LIST

   Anne Hendry will begin constructing a detailed coordination
   issues list in preparation for next week's meeting.

Jon